How We Work
How is Rent Determined?
Your rent, which is referred to as the Total Tenant Payment (TTP) in this program, would be based on your family’s anticipated gross annual income less deductions, if any. Some of the eligible exclusions are: $480 for each dependent; $400 for any elderly family, or a person with a disability; and some medical deductions for families headed by an elderly person or a person with disabilities. Based on your application, the SH representative will determine if any of the allowable deductions should be subtracted from your annual income. Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received from the family head and spouse, and each additional member of the family 18 years of age or older. The tenant rent will be based on 30 percent of the monthly adjusted income. (Monthly Adjusted Income is annual income less deductions allowed by the regulations).
How Do I Apply?
If you are interested in placing an application you can visit portal.shasc.org. Please view the Locations Page for contact information for the properties.
You will need the following information to complete an application:
- Birth Certificate for all household members who will be living in the unit.
- Social Security Cards for all household members who will be living in the unit.
- Picture ID for all household members 18 years of age or older who will be living in the unit.
- Names of all persons who will be living in the unit, their sex, date of birth and relationship to the Family Head of household.
- Your present mailing address and telephone number.
- Family characteristics (e.g., veteran, homeless, working more than 30 hours weekly, substandard housing) that might qualify the family for tenant selection preferences.
- An estimate of your family’s anticipated income for the next twelve months and the sources of that income.
- The names and addresses of employers, banks and any other information Spartanburg Housing would need to verify your income and deductions and to verify the family composition.
- Names and addresses of your current and previous landlords for information about your family’s suitability as a tenant
- Other items may be requested at your eligibility interview.
After Spartanburg Housing receives your application it will be processed and placed on the appropriate waiting list by the date and time received. Once a unit becomes available, you will be contacted by mail for an eligibility appointment.